US News and World Report released its 2021 Best US Colleges rankings in September. As in past years, MIT was ranked at or near the top in several categories related to undergraduate education, including the top-ranked undergraduate engineering program.
The Institute tied as the fourth-ranked national university in the United States (it placed third last year), and placed first in 12 categories beyond undergraduate engineering, second in seven categories, and in the top 10 in 12 more.
MIT’s undergraduate US News rankings echo its high standing in the publication’s graduate school rankings, released last spring.
MIT has also placed high in other 2021 university rankings. It was named the world’s top university in the QS World University Rankings for the ninth consecutive year, placed second overall in the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings, and placed fifth in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
MIT’s top-10 placements in the 2021 US News undergraduate categories are listed below. Visit MIT News for more details on US News’s rankings and methodologies.
- Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering
- Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Computer Science Theory
- Electrical/Electronic/Communications Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production/Operations Management
- Programming Languages
- Quantitative Analysis
- Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects
- Business Programs
- Computer Engineering
- Data Analytics/Science
- Management Information Systems
- Mobile/Web Applications
- Most Innovative Schools
- Biomedical (3)
- Civil Engineering (3, tie)
- Co-ops/Internships (4)
- Cybersecurity (4)
- Finance (4)
- National Universities (4, tie)
- Best Value (5)
- Senior Capstone (6)
- Software Engineering (6, tie)
- Supply Chain Management/Logistics (6)
- Environmental/Environmental Health Engineering (7)
- Management (9)