MIT was named the best graduate engineering school by US News & World Report, according to the publication’s 2021 ranking of best graduate schools—a place it has held since 1990, when the magazine first ranked such programs. Rankings were released on March 17. (The publication releases its corresponding rankings for undergraduate programs in the fall.)
Among individual engineering disciplines, MIT placed first in six areas:
- Best Graduate Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering Program (tie)
- Best Graduate Chemical Engineering Program
- Best Graduate Computer Engineering Program
- Best Graduate Electrical/Electronic/Communications Engineering Program
- Best Graduate Materials Engineering Program
- Best Graduate Mechanical Engineering Program
The MIT Sloan School of Management also placed highly, occupying the No. 5 spot for the best graduate business programs. In the rankings of individual MBA specialties, MIT placed first in four areas:
- Best Business Analytics MBA Programs
- Best Information Systems Programs
- Best Production/Operations Programs
- Best Project Management MBA Programs
MIT tied for the No. 1 spot in several other categories:
- Best Biological Sciences Programs
- Best Computer Science Schools
- Best Economics Schools
- Best Physics Schools
View US News 2021 rankings for MIT graduate schools and programs.
The magazine bases its rankings of graduate schools of engineering and business on two types of data: reputational surveys of deans and other academic officials, and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty, research, and students.
The US News & World Report rankings come on the heels of the annual university rankings released March 3 by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), which listed MIT as No. 1 in 12 subjects and second in five more. The QS World University Rankings have rated MIT as the No. 1 university in the world for eight straight years. Read the MIT News article for more details.