Hmmmm Chocolate….Science

by Nancy DuVergne Smith on April 9, 2009

in Modern Geekhood, Science, Student Life

Chocolate truffles for all!

Chocolate truffles for all!

You may–or may not–know that chocolate has six crystalline states and that heating it too quickly can separate its molecules and cause it to become gritty. The science of chocolate blends with the pleasure when MIT students and alumni put that knowledge to delicious use as members of MIT’s Laboratory for Chocolate Science.

This chocolate appreciation club, inspired by truffle-making parties hosted by then-student Ariel Segall ’04, continues as an eclectic bunch of chocolatiers who share the fruits of their work–hot chocolate during exams, truffle sales, IAP science of chocolate lectures, and chocolate tastings open to the public. Near campus? Check their Web site for the next mouth-watering event.

You can do this at home: watch the video to learn how to make tea-infused dark chocolate truffles.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Mary Falter October 22, 2009 at 4:35 pm

One of our departments is in the process of recreating itself and we have adopted a Gorilla theme – the team name is KAN-DU and
we are looking for either hollow chocolate balls or truffle (whichever is larger) to be individually wrapped and given out to guests who visit our office (we’re going to tell everyone that they are “Gorilla Balls”
I know this probably sounds silly but part of our company culture is to have fun and create a little wierdness. I am reaching out to you for any suggestions or creative
ideas you may have.
When you get done laughing and pick yourself up off the floor,
please respond to Mary Falter at mfalter@zappos.com. My telephone # 702-943-7777×7125. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you so very much in advance.
Mary Falter

Reply

Mary Falter January 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

I luv our gorilla balls!

Reply

Ted Trove January 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Nancy, you’re making me hungry. I think there’s a crystalline state missing though. Crystalline state 7: in my belly :) Lovely post.

Reply

Kat822 February 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I am with Ted on that one, I’d love to have one of those delectable chocolates in my stomach. This is definately a science lab I’d look forward too

Reply

Amy May 4, 2011 at 5:55 am

How come we didn’t have science lab like this when I was in school? Does anyone else feel like students these days are learning more things outside the box then we are? Classes on modern TV shows. Studies on the effect of Facebook… I should go back to school!

Reply

Jeremy T July 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

If chocolate science was my major.. i wouldnt miss a single lecture or tutorial.. lol

Reply

Jone jeel jugadora September 15, 2013 at 6:15 pm

fist time of my life to eat the truffles chocolate I like et…..

Reply